First Voice Contact with NA1SS (International Space Station)
September 19th, 2010 by K2DSL

After just making my first packet radio contact with the ISS, I was able to log my first voice contact with the ISS! I was just finishing up the BARTG 75 RTTY Sprint contest as there was a great overhead pass of the ISS and I wanted to see if I could make some packet contacts via the ISS. I was listening on 145.825 but I wasn’t hearing anything at all. So I went to 145.800 and I could hear Col Doug Wheelock (KF5BOC) as if he was in the room with me. I put the TS-2000 in split and set the xmit frequency to 144.490 and gave him a call. He came back to me at 21:07z, said my call and that I was coming in loud and clear. Wow, what a thrill! With less power then your average light bulb, we can make a contact 280+ miles into space and speak with someone moving at 17,000+ mph. Unbelievable!

Time to send for that QSL card.

73,
K2DSL

Posted in Contacts

6 Comments

Posted By: Tom on September 20th, 2010at 10:16 am

Hey David,
Great going ! I have 145.800 on my radio and in scan mode. I also heard the ISS, but never made a contact. I did not think it was possible with a Ringo Ranger. After seeing you accomplished it.
I will give it a try the next time I hear it.

Tom – WA2PNI

Posted By: dusty on September 23rd, 2010at 10:31 pm

i was woundring is the freq. was 144.900mhz or 144.490mhz the web site says 144.490 but i can never make contact thank you kj4ecd fuquay nc.

Posted By: K2DSL on September 24th, 2010at 6:46 am

Dusty – 144.490 is the proper uplink frequency. I see I mistyped it and I have now corrected it. 144.490 is the frequency I transmitted on when I made contact with the space station. Keep trying!

Posted By: dusty kj4ecd on October 11th, 2010at 8:28 am

yea it took a few weeks but this morning i finnaly made contact with Col Doug Wheelock (KF5BOC)it was an amazing thing and my 2 little girls heard him call back my call sign they were like wow daddy and its all i was using is a ground plane and 25 watts what a rush kj4ecd

Posted By: Tom W5KUB on November 7th, 2010at 7:13 pm

I remember my first contact with the iss. I was on cloud nine. Now i have made 27 contacts with Col Doug in about 60 days. My last contact i even talked to him about sending him some BBQ when he gets down. you can hear it at http://tmedlin.com/iss%20bbq%2011%206%2010.mp3

Posted By: Tom W5KUB on November 7th, 2010at 7:16 pm

I forgot to mention that 3 of my contacts were from the mobile. its easy. everyone should try it. Im afraid on nov 30 when the col comes down, we wont be making so many contacts with the iss.